Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Tourist

Hi guys! I recently went for an exciting tour to some places in India. Here I noticed many foreign tourists from different countries. To tell you the truth, they did look strange among the huge crowd of Indians. This is what I suppose got them those earnest glares. So today I decided to dawn the shoes of a foreign tourist in India and write a short autobiography upon them. So pull you socks high and enjoy this post!


With a huge but flashy bag strapped on my shoulders and stomach, I traveled through those Indian streets. I had a small guide book in my hand at which I occasionally glanced to refer to and also to hide my face from those embarrassing glares. A child clad in poor clothes hindered near me begging for a penny in some language which was gibberish to me. I put an Indian note in her hand and her face lit up. Later I heard someone commenting on my foolishness saying that I had given a hundred rupee to her which was of immense value in India.


I couldn’t understand why I attracted so much attention in this place but it wasn’t really good. People often asked for photos to be clicked with me to which I readily agreed when the contrast was in my mind. I felt absolutely like a celebrity at this time. Now I pity those poor actors who have to endure this discomfiture as soon as they stepped out of their house. Without knowing what to do I waved at the people who were continuously staring at me. This brought much more bad luck as they smirked a smile at me.


At the end of the day too I couldn’t understand if it was my dress, attire or looks which caught so much interest of the Indians. Throughout the day I couldn’t really concentrate on the places I visited and often ducked behind the guide book or anything similar. The next day of the tour I was wary to go sightseeing but this was the purpose I was here for so I endures on another hard journey through the Indian streets keeping yesterday’s mistakes in mind. I suppose I kept improving and avoiding more glances as the days went past and as the tour ended, visiting another place like this wasn’t a really good option on my mind.

10 comments:

Anonymous

Hi meghna,
You are imagining yourself as a foreign tourist in your own country. Quite fascinating!

Meghna

Thank you catherine. It was just my imagination!

Anonymous

You expressed the feelings of a foreign tourist in India very naturally and truly, meghna. Keep it up!

Anonymous

Hi Meghna! This is a great post!
I've never gone to India, but it seems to be a very beautiful country. Keep writing !
Congrats!

Meghna

Dear prabha,
As I have seen many tourists in my country and interacted with them many times, I have tried to be in their shoes this time. Thank you.

Meghna

Dear stephi,
India is a very beautiful country. You should read about it and visit it if you can. It is a country with diverse culture and am sure you'll enjoy it. Thanks.

Anonymous

Megna, I followed your link from Miranda's blog in Australia. This is fantastic writing. You are delving beyond the obvious and seeking to understand the other by putting yourself in their shoes. Brilliant.
ps I am Miranda's teacher and our class blog is at http://jomcleay.com/year9

Pallav

Very creative and very cute!

Keep it up and keep writing :)

Cheers!

N

Ranjani

Hey Meghna,

This entry is really interesting. One of my American friends recently went to Mumbai, and she was telling me how strange it was to have people staring at her all the time, and especially to have complete strangers approach her and ask her if she had a boyfriend. Going to India is always a little weird for me, because at first, I feel so unnatural wearing a salwar kameez and braiding my hair, and wearing a bindhi all the time...it feels like a costume. But I suppose it's just to avoid attracting attention. Whenever someone finds out we're American, they start treating us a bit differently. I know that all of the attention can be annoying, but do you really think that most tourists have such negative feelings about it? I wonder why India is like that...we never stare at foreigners in America. But that's probably just because America is so multicultural to begin with. When I went to Croatia, me, and a French boy from the Congo both attracted a lot of stares :D.

As for the Yale application...it's finally in...but now I have three exams tomorrow (SAT II) and a 25 biology paper due Thursday that I haven't started. Eep!

Meghna

Hi ranjani,
I think I have to agree to all that you say. It's all because India doesn't have so many people of different countries staying here as it is in America!

Good wishes from my side for you exams!

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008