Saturday, September 1, 2007

Silence & Bang = Chess Boxing!


Do you people remember one of my earlier posts “Chess – A Game Of Brainees”? I think now I have to rethink about the concept. Recently while I was scanning the newspapers, I stumbled upon a bizarre game – Chess Boxing!


Sounds great, huh? I then did some research on this topic and am now sharing my knowledge with you.


Chess Boxing, what’s that? A French film director & cartoonist Enki Bilal invented this game in 1992. He wrote a famous graphic novel titled “Froid Equateur” in which the plot revolves around his imaginative chess boxing. Later a Dutch artist Lepe Rubingh was inspired by this and thus brought this concept to life.


This game is played by a 4 minute round of chess, followed by a 2 minute round of boxing. It consists of upto 11 alternative rounds of chess & boxing. There is a 1 minute break in between for the players to change their gears.


Now you must be wondering how the winner is decided? The game is decided by checkmate or knockout. If the match is a draw, then the better boxer wins.


This sport already has an internationally recognized association called the World Chess Boxing Association. The game is based on the motto “Fighting is done in the ring and wars are waged on the board”.


So now you guys too get ready to exercise your brain & be smashed out too!!

3 comments:

Peter Pie

Meghna,
That's really bizarre! I'm hearing first time about this peculiar sport. Wonderful post. I'm sure apart from keeping an eye on your interests, you present it nicely too...

Anonymous

Though I play chess, chess boxing is entirely new to me. Thanx for the information which you've written with expression. Good article.

Meghna

Dear Peter Pie and Catherine,
I certainly agree that this is a bizarre game. I will keep informing you about such games if I stumble past them once again!

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008