Sunday, August 19, 2007

Rescuing A House On Fire!


I tripped several times as I walked along this path to explore the old but majestic house, which stood amidst the hills carpeted in green. It was now ruined with its beautiful white stones falling down.

I imagined how grand and splendid it would have been some years back and it would surely be a treat to the eyes to look at it then! But it was now all dilapidated and unoccupied. Wild flowers grew in the crumbling walls. A wild plum tree grew straight out of the floor where had there once been the garden ground. Lizards scuttled over the stones while a melodious cuckoo sat on the empty window and sang its heart out.

My family was visiting the hill side to spend our vacations. I was taking my usual morning walk when I discovered this house. Filled with curiosity and inquisitiveness, I decided to explore it. It looked a bit strange among the dainty blue bells and beautiful prim-roses that grew near the hills and oh! yes, a host of golden daffodils swaying in the breeze was in sight too.

I was going to enter the house when I remembered that how worried my parents would be when if I did not return home in time. Thus I urged myself to walk back home and come back in the evening. I dashed back home, had my breakfast and then our family went sight seeing. We came back late at night and I was really exhausted. So I decided to explore this house the next day.

I waited eagerly for the time to arrive and then with full of excitement I set out on my expedition. When I was near my destination, I discovered that there was black smoke all around me. I coughed a lot, but this could not stop my determination to explore this house.

As soon as I reached the house, I was shocked to see fire fanning out devouring parts of the house and slowly reaching out to the tall trees! It had caught fire! Half the house was already consumed by those fiery blazing flames!

I decided to run down to the nearby farm from where I could telephone and call for the fire brigade. I reached the nearest farm house occupied by an old couple. When I explained the situation to them, they were really helpful. They telephoned the police and fire department who set out immediately!

The news spread like wild fire in the hillside and soon people gathered around this place pouring pales of water all over the house. My parents and brother arrived soon after and helped the vast crowd in stopping the fire.

The fire brigade set to work as soon as they arrived by showering a great amount of water through huge pipes! This great effort showed its result as the fire ceased down. I took a sigh of relief and wiped the sweat from my brow!

I wanted to learn about the mystery of how the house caught fire; but unfortunately could not find any explanation. I was really disappointed and shocked by this sudden change of events. Oh! I also missed the chance to explore this great house. Till date no one has been able to find out how the fire started and I am still searching for clues.

Have you ever had such an experience? Do tell me something about it!

4 comments:

Anonymous

Aside from a few spelling and obvious grammar errors it was well written. I liked it. Mature writing for your age.

Peter Pie

Hi Meghna,
Very well described. Your imagination and the story are fascinating. Good language too! I liked the contents.

Meghna

Dear Peter Pie & ablogaboutnothing,
Thanks for your valuable comments. I will certainly try to improve the spelling mistakes or grammar errors made by me!Thanks once again for pointing them out to me.

Anonymous

Your blog is full of creativity and is worth following!

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008