Monday, August 13, 2007

Me, The Great Astronaut, Who Spacewalked !!!


It was a fine Sunday morning that I received a letter from NASA saying that my name had been short listed in the top 10 candidates to go on the moon. Wow! I exclaimed rubbing my eyes with astonishment!

Oh, I was just reading the really inspiring interviews of Sunita Williams! I hope you all have heard the name of Sunita Williams who had recently gone to space. You can see her picture here.

After reading this article, my imagination went wild and I visualized my own journey to space which I describe below:

I had never imagined in my best dreams that I would be selected!!! After this I had to join the training program for some days. At that great place they mainly taught us about American and the Russian type of space stations. You need to know about the heating system, all the energy, how to regulate that, power and motion control and how the space station orients itself.(Learnt all these by reading the interviews of Sunita Williams). It’s pretty fun actually if you are interested ! In the days of my training I eagerly looked forward to moonwalks and spacewalks !! Oh ! my heart skipped a beat at the thought of it !! How wonderful !

Then the great day arrived and I sat there inside the space shuttle with that really uncomfortable space suit. ( I felt an intense itching in every part of my body but couldn’t help !! ). Then the countdown began and my journey started. I left the Earth behind and felt as if an earthquake had evolved around us! Then suddenly I was in the air. The expression on my face was horror struck!! After I learnt that this is really what happens while going into space, I was overjoyed!!! Oh yeah! It was really a great experience but after staying in the air for days I was a bit tired. I wanted to resume my position on my seat but could not. Ha! What a life? A great astronaut has struck in the mid-air. My food was really sickening. I had to gobble that disgusting space food all the time. No variety of food at all ! This is when I realized that I had become home-sick. Those delicious morsels I have at home! The extraordinary food cooked by mother. Oh !my mouth-watered at the thought of it ! But the excitement and thrilling adventure that this trip offered restrained me from doing so ! Suddenly I felt uncomfortable in that sticky space-suit and wanted to have a wash ! But that was impossible and this troubled me. (I wonder how these astronauts go to the bathroom. Anyone who knows please let me know too…hhheeeee….heeee ) :)

At last I reached the moon. Wow! I clicked some amazing pictures and now traveled a little, flying in the air !! I stayed there for six months having lots of fun and I expect that it would be too boring to describe that long stay ! I just could not have asked for more. Oh I just cannot explain the experience. 'My first view of India from space was most amazing". The first time I went out the door, I saw the whole world. You could see the earth's curvature. The second time, it was at night, and you could still see a lot of lights. We, the astronauts, minimized the effects of zero-gravity by exercising and our nutrition was carefully devised

I then started my return journey which was of similar lines. As soon as I reached the Earth I took a sigh of relief and returned home!

Hey guys ! Remember that this was an imagined journey of a 12 year old girl who knows very little about space journeys !!! Can anybody describe their experience?

5 comments:

Peter Pie

Meghna,
You've a lot of travel experience which starts small from (to your school), then medium (train journey) to really BIG (on a space shuttle) What is next? I'm waiting. Really entertaining!

Anonymous

Good article! Shall I forward this to NASA?

Unknown

lol..catherine's suggestion was too good...
keep it up mini...
you've always wanted to become a scientist...right???

Unknown

hi meghna,
this is ankita frm cms. you r very good at writing keep it up.waiting for another sydney sheldon

Meghna

Hi Ankita,
Thanx for your comment and I'm honoured. Keep visiting, reading & commenting!

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008