Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What's In A Name?

Hi Guys! Have you all ever wondered how these names like google, yahoo, apple & microsoft were created? If not, I have these hilarious secrets in store for you today! Hope you enjoy reading them!

Google

Ten years ago, when Larry Page was choosing the name for his search engine, he created a major mistake! Call it a typo or blame spell check, he named his software- Googol by blunder. Page recorded the name within hours….and the result of this world famous error? Google now isn’t just a typing error but a new company worth about $10 million!


Ah! That was a deadly error with a great outcome creating a world famous industry!

Apple

The co-founder of the Apple Company, Mr. Steve Jobs, was also an Apple Farm Worker and an apple lover too! He and Steve Woznaic threatened the workers that if they didn’t come up with a better name for the company, they’d name it Apple! And this is exactly what they did!

But Mr. Steve, I’m sure you made the right decision as no one finds the name funny now!


Yahoo!

The two creators of yahoo are David Filo and Jerry Yang. This site started out as “Jerry and David’s guide to the world wide web” But seeing the uproar it created they changed the name to Yahoo, consulting a dictionary. The name Yahoo! is an acronym for "Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle", but as Jerry and David insist they selected this name for the sole purpose that it’s general definition was rude, unsophisticated and uncouth!

Yahoo, is now a global brand which initially started as a student hobby. You can now communicate with people, access information and also purchase things.

This is cool! I didn’t know that yahoo was a real word but now it sounds great for the two creators!

Microsoft

The word Microsoft was created by the world famous, Bill Gates. It was initially spelt as Micro-Soft and was created because it was meant to be taken as MICRocomputer SOFTware, the short form of which is Microsoft. But later the ‘–‘ was removed and the word was called Microsoft!

This shows how intelligent Bill Gates is, also being such a great creator and the richest man (or the second richest? I’m not sure!) in the world!

I thought that the wonderful creations of these names were very funny and interesting so I brought them up before you! If you have any thoughts, you are free to express them in the form of comments!

Sources:

  1. Google's Secret Formula
  2. The History of Yahoo!
  3. Yahoo Answers

11 comments:

Pallav

did u know windows, the operating system was launched in a submarine, cuz bill gates wanted to show peole what it is like to live in a windowless world.

also the famous apple mac stands for macintosh is a kind of apple too :)

good post, i didn't know about yahoo.

Anonymous

What i like is that you post the sources to this information too. That is being honest.

Meghna

Hi Blogkut
Thanks for dropping by and telling me about this! I'll try it out soon!

Meghna

Hi Nothingman,
That is wonderful information! Microsoft launched in a submarine! Thanks for all this information!
I'm glad you liked the post!

Meghna

Hi Nitin,
I'm glad you liked this! I believe in "Honesty is the Best Policy"!

Tony

Hi all,
First i'd like to say that I didn't know most of these, thanks for the insight. Second i'd like to say you have a great blog and some interesting topics.

Lastly i'd like to say your stumble page doesn't do you justice,the bright pink almost scared me off and I wondered what kind of site I would be clicking through to. I'm glad I did. I will be stumbling you now, hope you get a traffic increase, you deserve it.

Tony:)

Meghna

Hi Tony,
Thanks for all the compliments! And many thanks to you for stumbling too.
i was having conflicting thoughts about changing my SU profile but now you gave me the sure idea that I've got to do it! I'll try to do that as soon as possible.
Thanks once again and keep visiting!

Feeby Neko

I knew the one about Google but the one on Yahoo was a surpise certaintly. :)

JesieBlogJourney

Meghna
Good job. I know about Yahoo but not the other two. Thanks for sharing.

Meghna

Hi spirit,
Glad that you could learn something from my post! :)

Meghna

Hi jesie,
Great that you dropped by and also that you could know about the names. Thanks!

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008