Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What A Unique Way To Honor Students!

Tree

What a unique eco-friendly way to honor meritorious students! I am really impressed.



Curious news around the world is a daily source of information and interest for me and maybe for every second Indian too. I just cannot resist reading and writing about them on my blog :P



Schools = Intelligence = Toppers. Okay, TOPPERS or MERIT HOLDERS! Isn't that name, a craving for everyone? A craving not to know that you are most intelligent or something.....but a craving to earn an honorable award of merit for you hard-work!


Why do I ask this, eh? Wait....have tad bit patience for I'm coming to the point soon! But before that, one more thing! School reminds me of something else too, the compulsory subject, Environmental Education (E.V.Ed) which the ICSE board has marked compulsory for students till 12th. And I literally think there's no subject worse than that!


No, no! I do not mean that. What I mean is that we usually have similar books till 12th and they teach us the same old boring things, i.e. To protect the Environment = Plant tress (awww....how many times will I do that then?) and Acid Rain, CFC, CNG and same old things all over again. It is only additional burden too.So I plainly think EVE period is a waste of time.


If teachers are so keen on teaching, we should do something practical that generates interest than the same old boring text book. Like my school has recently supported a mission of planting trees but that isn't counted into our grades. Okay, back to square one. Why did I blabber so much eh?


Tree-Meghna



Mangalayatan University in Aligarh has found an unusual way to honor their meritorious students, or rather eco-friendly, I'd say. This time around, talented kids are not being awarded any kind of medals, trophies or cash. It's different guys!



The university has decided to award students a tree, yeah! They have set up a "TOPPERS AVENUE" inside the campus itself, where they are planting trees each time, in the name of toppers! Yes, the tree kind belongs to the good student. It stands tall and majestic, as a prize for their hard work and dedication.



Cool? I think it's a fabulous idea. This is what I call abiding to thy own teaching! Along with helping the environment and igniting the fire of realization inside the students, the name of the topper will be eternally indelible!


Also, I think the child honored or his friends and family will take care of the tree as their own, just as you take care of all trophies or certificates you have won? Isn't it? And who knows...the child may unknowingly begin to help others around to realize how important a role trees play in the livelihood of mankind!

Fine...fine...I know it's time to shut my blabbering large mouth and time to know what you guys think! Time for you to get to work and share your views.


I am also going to share this article at school so any more innovative ideas for my school to follow, or to help others just as this school is doing, please share through comments. I'll share all of that at school with my teachers and will tell you the result soon :)



Related Posts

  1. The School of My Dreams
  2. Teachers
  3. EXam FevEr!
  4. Top 10 Tips for Success in Examinations


48 comments:

Anu

Meghna.. great idea..if only more schools consider inspiring students to do better, im sure every kid will be a school topper

Cinderella

Me second ! yay !

(Waise I came with the hope n elation that I was gonna be the first!)

Anyway coming to the post, yes i did think it was a very very unique idea..not just encourage students but also to promote environment awareness and upliftment. Way to go !

YOu knw when I was in school we ddint even have Environment Studies as a separate subject, recently I have been noticing my lil cousins study (and abhor it).

Lucky me then I'd say.

:P

RecycleCindy

Sounds like a wonderful idea. I love the eco-friendly way that are thinking of rewarding the students. Excellent way to inspire the students and do something kind for our Earth!

Heart'n'Soul

WOILA - EUREKA!!!
this is indeed interesting and an AWEEESOOOMMMMEEE Idea

i rember a green drive my school took us on, we used to plant one tree per clas in our school garden n were responsible for takin care of it... but i guess one tree per tudent is much better....

--xh--

now, that is a unique way... am sure it will inspire the students when they look at the trees :)

btw, did u play kluless4? try it - it will get you hooked :)

♥ÐÅyÐяєÅмє®♥

wow that's a wonderful way to honor a good student...standing tall and majestic in the toppers avenue and will stand there till eternity... that's another form of immortality..

lovely....


btw I used to carve up my and my gfs name on trees too :P in my school days with a love sign :P

lol

Cяystal

WOWIEE ! :P
Ths is such an awesome idea yaar..it would be such an honor to have a WHOLE TREE in the name of yourself..but think abt..if they start naming the trees by our names..it'd be SO FUUNNY..
"Meghna sookh rahi hai..paani do usmei"
"Aayushi ke patte jhad rahe hai..autumn aa gaya"
Rotfl!

Toon Indian

hey great idea..btw. you will have one named on you very soon!!!

Anonymous

E.Ed ... I still remember I hated that subject to the core .... All the chapters revolved around Global warming and pollution at some point ..... And at the end , ended up with the lowest marks in the subject ....

P.S. now I know what Green House Effect is .... :P

btw....naming the tree after a student seemed a marvellous idea. ..... hope to see one after your name..... :D ....

Meghna

@ Anu- I hope they do! But another point of view se....there'll be lot of competition LOL!

Meghna

@ Cindy di- LOL! Better luck next time yaar...Yes...it indeed is a great idea!
arrgghh..luck you :9 Sympathies for ur li'l cousins!

Meghna

@ Cindy- Exactly! Great plan.....for the students and earth :)

Meghna

@ Divi di- Ditto!!! That's what the plant drive in our school is...one tee per class and we take care of ti :P

Coool....I guess my school shld go with this then, di?

Meghna

@ BB- yes...atleast it will work for me :)

Yes, just checked ur psot :P

Meghna

@ Sorusih bhaiya- nice na...I said so! Just hoping my school picks up :P

BAD :(

Meghna

@ AAYu- LOL! ROFL WOWEEEE.....s cool aayu...nice of u thinkt hat yaar....so funny :P
Sambhal ke chalo aayu, mere patton apr pair na rakho LOL!

Meghna

@ Rahul- LOL! Not in my fate/kismet....there are so many good students in mah class!

Meghna

@ Harsh- hey....very quick LOL!
I still hate EVE and I guess I do not get that good marks too.....ANYWAYS, I detest that subject....this is an interesting way to make it interesting and not so repetitive LOL!

My name....u'll havta wait long then :)

Anonymous

What a unique idea! Don't forget to sign the group card for Anand/Kramnik on chess.com!! I've done it yesterday...go and sign it too! there's still time! :)

broca's area

really unique..it will motivate the students more!....

Jeevan

Wow that certainly unique and best as reward! These will not only honor those individually but also contribute to society. I wish this idea spread across and our generation will teach those cut tress. Thanks for sharing :)

Akshay

Awesome Indeed..... I think similar stuff can be done in the corporate world....

Meghna

@ Nikita- The net's not working properly now...so I'll join in alter...I just hope i do not forget :P

Meghna

@ Broca- Sure :)

Meghna

@ Akshay- LOL! I hope they do try :)

Meghna

@ Jeevan- WOW! Right words jeevan bro...I loved the idea :)

Vinesh

hey, what a wonderful idea! if only the space can be found.. people seem to want more space by cutting trees..

Priya Joyce

hemanth wants u to see his blog soon...

hemanth

sissy come to my blog once soon :P...

urs..hemu..

Vishesh

cool idea :)

Meghna

@ Vinesh- That's a thought too...I mean yes, one will need SPACE :D

Meghna

@ Priya and Hemu- Off now :)

Meghna

@ Vish- Certainly!!!

Jaggu

Hi, how r you? You are tagged.:)

Meghna

@ Jaggu- Glad to see you are back :)
I'll check it out soon!

Anonymous

OLA Thats a good and cool BLOGSPOT blog. Nice one and good luck for the blogging idol! I am in too lol.

Nice topics being discussed here and I am so sure that your readers will also like the ones of my blog. Lets say its from a lost ancient indian in another country...away from india!

http://islandcrisis.blogspot.com
Regards
Kurt Avish

Adi

I better give the idea to my school's Student Executive. They may help putting it to action...

Mana

Second your thoughts! In this way, both the trees n students pride is maintained :)

Priya Joyce

hey sweets hav written abt u in ma 50th post do chk tat out

Anonymous

Hello Meghna
You've sure caught attention now! I can't believe it... how interesting, you'd never imagine students get rewarded so greatly. I just wish everyone would do that and I agree, teachers shouldn't waste their time and teach us rubbish that isn't interesting. We have to learn and at the same time have fun! It won't be worth it otherwise...
How very intriguing. You always have something great to share Meggie. It is a brilliant way to inspire kids to try their best and keep up the hard work.
All the best... GO FOR IT. GO FOR ALL YOUR IDEAS I SAY!!!!
Nadine

Meghna

@ Avish- Hey! wish you luck too, and thanks for visiting:D

Meghna

@ Adi- Glad to hear that....Wish you luck too bro :P

Meghna

@ Priya- Yeaaaaaa.....OFFF!!!!

Meghna

@ Nadine- Thanks a lot for that sweetest ever comment dear...agreed....no time to be wasted over EVE, I say and such ideas should be followed!

I'm certainly sharing all these ideas and I hope you do the same. Thanks MILLION times for those compliments :)

Unknown

Haha that is very interesting!

My imagination tells me there's a whole lot more where that came from...

Maybe the future isn't as scary as we think it is. :D

Unknown

P.S. We have an environmental studies course this sem (compulsory) x(

Meghna

@ Alok- The future's great coz there are ppl like me to come LOL!
RIFl....jsut kidding :)

Aww....I thought you had finished studying ??

Anonymous

WOW!! Great idea meggie!! Oh and thanks for dropping off by my blog!! Your very sweet! Also your such a great blogger you should win the champion ships if there were any!!! bye

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008