Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Revival Of An Old Bond

The Revival Of An Old Bond- Friends, Friendship
I rummaged through the wardrobe, sifting my hands between the hoards of dresses scattered in an unearthly manner. Vexed, I started throwing the things on the floor.

That's when Mom entered. She looked at me stupefied and with a look of horror started shouting at me.

"What are you doing? It was only yesterday that after slogging for three hours, I was able to settle your things. And now....ahhhhh" she cried with a voice full of a symphony of anger and confusion.

"Ma", I replied desperately, "It's not here too, and Geetanjali will be here in a few minutes. What do I do?"

"You still after that stupid pen of yours. Don't you have any other job? Why don't you just clean your room and present her with a nice place to stay in?", she asked, annoyed at my naivety and angrily took a stride out of the room.

Nervously exhausted, I sat on the tip of my bed, my hands clutching the sides tightly in fear of falling off. I had to find it, the glowing pen with a Mickey shaped cap.

With a sigh, I went back into reminiscing those old days. Geetanjali, a crooked smile with gaping holes where her teeth had broken, long flowing hair and a lovely yet mystical dark face. The cheekbones jutted out high and the face stood out brilliantly under the sun.

She was thin and agile. We both were the best of friends. We were neighbors who went to the same school and studied in the same class. I've known her ever since I remember.

I was a shy five year old who did not talk to a soul in class except Geetu. She was more than a friend. We were like sisters, there was a strange, unknown, mystical and magical bond between us. An unbreakable bond that was everlasting and unforgettable.


The Revival Of An Old Bond- Friends, Friendship

We both wouldn't go to sleep without wishing the other, "Sweet Dreams". The only time I remember myself being angry at her was a sunny day when it unexpectedly started raining and our hearts fluttered with joy. I jumped out splashing in the puddles and enjoying myself as my clothes dripped wet and the rain soaked my hair.

I remember joyfully calling out to Geetu and for the first time, we contradicted. She started shouting at me for being so careless, telling me I'd get sick and I stood there in the rain staring back, surprised. Later, the surprise changed to anger for her not listening to me.

But the next day all went well, as I broke into fits of coughing and sneezing, lying in bed clutching the blanket hard around myself, with a high temperature. Geetu came, and calmly explained that she'd recently read that one would get sick by playing in the rain and that's the reason she'd been calling me back.

The warm faith and confidence in her seemingly deep blue eyes renewed me and filled a new zest and vigor. This incident strengthened me, and Geetu was like an elder sister, always there to help my perplexed soul, the careless and confused girl I am.

The sound of the honking of the car brought me back to my senses. She'd arrived....oh no!! I still didn't have the pen which was our last parting gift, the one that I'd promise never to loose, like all things I had, one that I had promised never to be careless with, unlike myself, one that was indelible with teary eyes as I wished her goodbye. It was my 7th Birthday and Geetu was leaving town, her father had been transferred to someplace else.

I hadn't slept for nights, hadn't eaten a morsel for days and lamented at her loss which seems for eternity. For the loss of a friend, a sister, a soul mate, a guide and a true philosopher.

But now she was back and like the careless self I am, I lost the pen!! As I stood up and looked at my reflection which shimmered with beads of perspiration, I heard the door behind me open....
I turned back.....she screeched....I screeched and then we cried!!

After five years....She's not changed a bit Those lovely flowing tresses and those deep blue eyes! Though she had all teeth now and no missing gaps and looked far more stunning, after hugging and all, we sat down talking.

She looked around the room and smiled, "Still not changed, eh Meghu?, she asked laughing at the mess of clothes on the floor.

I looked down and told her why it was so, after hearing that I was finding the pen, she looked at me stunned. For a moment I was not sure what to expect, the look was of astonishment and confusion, and then, suddenly without a warning, she burst out into a volley of giggles as I stared.

Geetu looked at me and started laughing like crazy, as I stared back equally dazed and vexed at her maddening streak. Had she lost her senses or what?

Without stopping her laughter, she took me to the garden as I tried to struggle out of her firm grip, seemingly afraid to be in the company of a lunatic laughing so madly. She took me to the mango tree we had planted together last summer, which had now grown into a luxuriant tree with a firm bark and loads of green leaves and white mangoes peeping out.

Then she did something much more crazier. She sat on the ground and started digging as I stared at her, my astonishment crossing all bounds. After a few seconds, she handed over to me something she had found, and surprisingly it was a green glow pen with a Mickey cap all bound with a plastic wrap and a note which said..."Geetu sweetie is back!"

It was then that I remembered how she and I had together dug that pen itno the roots of our beloved mango tree with teary eyes as we bid each other farewell, and while going, she had mockingly tried to renew my spirits by joking that, "The day I return....I know you'd be hopelessly searching for the pen and then I'll have to find it out for you, like all other things! I bet you won't remember it's here!" And then she had tucked in that note...

It was at that moment that I looked at her and knew that the note said it correctly...My dear sweetie was really back!! And then we both laughed together...just like those old days..... The Revival Of An Old Bond...


My recent meeting with an old lost friend inspired this story. And as you know, I love hearing your tales too. So please remember to share your joys with me of the time when you met a long lost friend!

80 comments:

Zawan

This is a very beautiful story. I liked the part when in the middle of the story you talked about your friendship with her.

how do you come up with ideas for such stories. I'm thinking of making a story series on my blog but I can't come up with anything! any tips?

I can't remember meeting a friend since a long time, but you know what? the only friend i had just turned out to be a big thief!
she stole my perfume and my 50 pounds and suddenly disappeared. she even stole my shirt, which she attempted to do before, but I caught her.

nice story anyway!

Zawan

hi again Meghna,
I tagged you to do a meme on my blog, did you see it?

Adi

Meg, great. Simply great. Loved every word of it! happy to see you have such great friends. Well, I never had such a close friend in my childhood. Hmmm..... maybe there was..... so bad of me! I don't even remember. But I can't remember all my friends now can I? I've changed my school 3 times.... so many friends...... wish I could talk to everyone again....

Adi

Yeah, and Meg? Could you please go to my brothers blog, he really wants you to visit it. Here's the link- www.neerusformulae.blogspot.com
Thnx

Meghna

@ Zawan- Thanks a lot...yes, that's supposedly the main part :)

Ideas....they are all around you. You just need to churn your creative mind and ignite the flame....the best tip I can give is "OBSERVE" and "PONDER!"

Anyhow, try sitting with ur pen and diary and keep writing something....you might come up with something good :)

That's umm....weird and frightening...I thought that only happened on TV, Zawan!

Meghna

@ Zawan- I have read the meme and hope to do it soon! Thanks for the tag dear :)

Meghna

@ Adi- It must have been a wonderful experience for you....meeting new friends but parting from the old ones must've been tough! I hope you get in touch soon :)

Thanks :P

Maddie

Hi,
I stumbled across your blog whilst reading Filosofia's, that was such a beautiful story, very warm hearted. :)

Meghna

@ Adi- just visited and commented....very cute blog :)

Meghna

@ maddie- Hope you enjoyed....keep visiting...nice to see ya :)

IncorrigibleV

awww really beautiful...
i dont have such an experience to share abhi... will surely come back to comment if something strikes me later.
awesome post sweetie :)

Aimee

This story is so lovely, full of character and energy. I like the way you did the transition from action to reminiscence and back to action again. x

Meghna

@ Vandita di- awww.....am still waiting then.....

Thanks :P

Meghna

@ Sofia- Thank you so much....the story is actually based around the remembrance and then comes the transition to let the readers feel they aren't missing out anything :)

Sahefa

It was not really long but it was really after 3 months when i met my best friend. She came to my school especially for meeting me on Friday when we had a party. We both just went to each other arms and i burst into tears and could not stop my self for 7 minutes. We both spent two hours together and those were really beautiful hours which I'll never forget.

♪♪Happy Go Lucky♪♪

woah
that was so sweet and touching! loved it!

m.flowerr

Great story......btw ya tagged Meghna!

Meghna

@ Sahefa- Yes...I read your post and it touched me too...It must have been much more emotional than I could render to in my story :)

Meghna

@ Harini- Thanks :0

Meghna

@ M.flower- Hey....long time, eh?

Anonymous

hey, that was soooooo chweet! I remembered my old days and friends too! :) Very touching story..

Niranjan

Meghna, great. Simply great. Loved every word of it! happy to see you have such great friends.

Vinz

nice one..its always a bliss to dive into our past relationships..!! and getting a chance to revive them, what more to ask...?

am a frequent visitor, but commenting for the first time..!!keep writing..u got a talent..just fine tune it..!!

Anonymous

Sensational... Miraculous...
Divine! Loved the twists, adored the basic title of the story and what it was about, admired the spectacular description that plaited your words together.. beautiful. I liked the bit where she digs out the pen, laughs, how you reminisce the part where they wildly splash in the rain...
Actually, I have a best friend who has left the country and I miss her so much! I cannot stop thinking of her. Believe it or not, our meeting started off with each others mean glances, and really bad ways. We used to hate each other. But suddenly we found a connection and became ULTIMATE BESTIES. Once, since we are a bit crazy, we walked around pretending to be foolish, acting like drunken young girls. She accidentally fell on me and my new pretty pants got muddied! So I ran off in an furious and anguished fit.
Her mum got worried and came to speak to me and so did my mum and then I realised it was just a mistake and wasn't her fault. Friends are more important than pants right? So I forgave her and we hugged...

Nadine

Meghna

@ Sakhi- Glad you did! Thanks :P

Meghna

@ Niranjan- Kudos to you bro. for reading that whole thing and then understanding and posting a comment! I'm amazed :O

Meghna

@ Vinz- Thanks for the comment! It certainly is bliss.....and who knows better :P

Glad to know that but I hope you continue being visible LOL! :)

Meghna

@ nadine- That's a beautiful thing you shared....it has so much of essence of true friendship. Thanks a load for sharing.....I hope you and she meet again!!!

Thanks a lot for those beautiful words about my story....BTW, if you write such beautiful things for me, I'll have to continue writing even better LOL!

Jeevan

Until reading the red marks I felt like everything noted her is truly exist. I wonder how beautifully u created this fairytale. That’s a silly anger u imagined to sweet more.

I really have this friend, who is not lost or found but untouched with me even coming across me today. He is a neighbor one, to remember we fought at last for something yet unremembered, but we talked after that thus I am and don’t know why he is not interested to renewal our friendship it seems.

Meghna

@ jeevan- Thanks a lot for the compliments bro....I'm glad you shared your part of the story....looks like the same feelings were not on both side!

Anonymous

That's an awsome story Meghna. I ran talked into a long lost friend but me and him are complete opposite now, it wasn't an unhappy ending but I'll say this, it's alright that we say hi to each other but it's best that I avoid him because he's what you call a bad influence. But that is an amazing story and I'm glad that there are people out there that their long-lasting friendships don't change.

Toon Indian

beautiful story...yeah it's great to meet old friends!!!

Cяystal

Beautiful story,Meghdu =)


Who is Geetu,yaar?


Sanju,Nandu,Aayu,Shambhu rakho na! :D

♥ÐÅyÐяєÅмє®♥

wow
betuu''such a sweet story...it was so well written and so lovely....aur sabse achhi baat it was so full of innocence and that's the basic thing I like in ur stowies..
loved it..i hope u had a great time with the reunion..
love n carez

Priya Joyce

ah! such a beautiful experience u had dear... it reely feels tat we all blessed to hav so many sweet friends around us re:)

Ah! I had a very sweet frnd but recently we broke up ..i guess we shud patch up soon..so can't share such and experience re :)

but i wud say this is a very niice post.

Meghna

@ Shawn- I think you should patch up and maybe try and help him :)

Glad to know you liked my story and very sweet of you to say such kind words :)

Meghna

@ Rahul- Certainly feels nice... :P

Meghna

@ aayu- Thanks....btw, I knw...tune school mein pehli baar compliment diya :P

Agli baar Nandu,Aayu,Sanju,Shambhu, Vertu, Sumi ya koi aur....pakka!! LOL!

Meghna

@ SOurish bhaiya- Thanks a lot bro....apke compliments padh akr hi toh josh aata hai naye stories likhne ka LOL! :P

Meghna

@ Priya- I think you should certainly patch up! Thanks a lot for those kind words about the story :P

Cяystal

Highlight the AAYU thre ;)
Btw..come check Macadamia and my combined post! :D

Anonymous

Meghna thank you very much for leaving a comment on my blog. I really like your stories I really like your story about your friend. 

Preetilata【ツ】

what it was a story??.. but i thought it was for real.

what a great story teller u r Meghz. kudos to ur talent :)

Meghna

@ AAYU-- KK...highlight?? awwwwww :XXXXX

Meghna

@ Michael- I'm glad you liked it and thanks for stopping by too :)

Meghna

@ Lata di- Look who's saying???? It's great to hear that frm a person as YOU :P

Unknown

hello meghna.

some of ur posts are really cool.

keep writing.

--xh--

wow sis, you did justice to teh story - a nice sketch... i know itz been long since i visited you - having a very busy time @ wrk :( that is why i dont even blog much now a days...

Meghna

@ BB- Gotcha...I thought so! Everyone arnd me is and I'm glad I'm not :P

Meghna

@ Jay- Thanks a lot...BTW, some...not ALL?? LOL!

I'll keep writing...just visited ur blog...but wer do I post a comment???

Anonymous

This is brilliant, like all your others!! Meghna...you are so good digging up stories and poems!!I love the whole story..not just a bit...but i was sort of smiling when I read the start...sounded like my own daughter there...:) she's just a bit older than you are...I constantly have to tell her off about her room...:)

Meghna

@ Nikita- Aww....that was such a sweet comment! I hope to meet ur daughter one day...I'm inspired to write better now!!!

Anonymous

hey .. is geetu single? if so pass on my regards.. if she is settled, then tell her that i am wounded...

jokes apart, this post was loweliiiieeee

Anonymous

hey .. is geetu single? if so pass on my regards.. if she is settled, then tell her that i am wounded...

jokes apart, this post was loweliiiieeee

Anonymous
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown

:-)
wel, u can't. but u can find ma email add ther'

and yeah, not all :-)

Meghna

@ Chriz- LOL! Thanks :)

Meghna

@ Jay- Oh! Thanks for the info :P

Preeti

lovely story meghu :) blog rolling you :) thanks for visiting my blog :) cheers :)

Meghna

Hi Preeti- Thanks a lot :)

Akshaya Kamalnath

Awww..you know what I recently met my best friend from 4th std. We had parted ways when I left the school..kept in touch a bit and then thats it. But when we met up it was like no time had been lost. We filled each other in on all the new happenings in our lives since like more than a decade...and it was so easy to renew the bond. Your story reminded me of that. Really touching.
P.S: My cupbboard's a HUGE mess too:)

Meghna

@ Akshaya- That is cuteee....I hope you are still friends :)
Loved to hear your tale too...keep visiting...keep sharing and thanks a ton for those kind words :P

Akshaya Kamalnath

This is a terribly cute post...and beautifully penned..time is nothing in the face of the bond of friendship.

Anu

Very sweet story.. friendships are like wine, the older they are the sweeter they become.

Faith Lasts

hi! Are you sure you are thirteen!!!!
This was way too fantastic, beautiful, gripping, .
Towards the end I thought it may not be a true incidence. Either ways, It was just too simply put and innocent :)))

Mumbai Guy

Meghana - I have said before and saying again, you are way beyond 13 years when it comes to writing world. How in world you write articles so articulate and clear? I know you read lots of intellectual books and all but still its hard to comprehand you are just 13 years..

Meeting old friend is a good experience and I have only managed to meet them online. I wish I meet them in person someday, soon.

I am a lover of children's literature

This was a great story. You either got it or you don't - and you certainly have it Meghna.

Even though, like all writers, no matter how great they are, there was the one small techical glitch, where after not seeing each other for five years, you both hid the pen, by the Mango tree, that you planted only the previous year before! This is where editor's really come in handy, as I have made the same type of mistakes many times before myself.

With your talent, I have no doubt that the day will come soon when you will be working with many fine editors.

I just hope that they are as great as the one's that I have had the priviledge of working with, because I am sure that any editor would be more than proud to work with a great writer like yourself.

Keep em coming!

Meghna

@ Akshaya- LOL! You are terribly sweet too :)

Meghna

@ Anu- Very true and wise words :P

Meghna

@ Bhwanan- I'm certain I'm just 13 but looks like you aren't LOL!

Thanks a lot and I'm blushing at so many praises ;P

Meghna

@ MG- LOL! Isn't that too much of praises....makes mu gush and blush all red :P Thanks a lot bro :)

I pray for you....and god listens to kids ....so I;m sure you'll meet them soon :)

Meghna

@ Don- O....how very silly for me! I must have overlooked the mistake....but I still cannot stop smiling at the mistake LOL!

A beautiful way for you to tell me and I'm grateful you did tell! Thanks a lot dear Don....thanks a lot for everything you said , all the encouragement and all the help!!!

Now....now....don't make me go all red blushing! It would be an honor for me to wrk with you :)

Mumbai Guy

Meg - you deserve all the praise from us all. I agree, God listens to kids more. Thanks for your prayers and wishes.

Meghna

@ MG- awww....that comment is so sweet ....I'm thankful for that...I'll be praying harder now and then you knw who to thank....dontcha??

sb

hi dear meg,
gues u r bac in full swing after xams.. is ther a need to say tht the story ws wonderful??!! tooo gud dearie! no dbt meetin old frens is a spl feel... n the diggin near the mango tree - thts an awesome turn to the story... 13 billion cheers to the lovely 13 yr old! cheers n God bles!!!

Anonymous

That was nicely written dear. I remembered a number of my old friends reading it. Thanks!

And I have taken your feed and read or skimp through your entries from my reader. Dont confuse my commentlessness for forgetfulness :-)

Vikas Gupta

Very beautiful story! Liked it.

You may read this story which was a Sulekha Valentine Contest winner; very touching and moving: http://heartcrossings.blogspot.com/2005/02/about-two-loves-and-i.html

Meghna

@ sulo - thank you. Wondering why didn't I reply earlier :-)

Meghna

@ cris - No, it is okay. Reading through Feed reader and occasional visit is fine. Thanks.

Meghna

@ vikas - I read the story. Really touching.

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008