Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Strange Happening....


Just yesterday, I was returning from school. The afternoon sun was high in the sky and I walked down the street after getting down fro the bus, with the heavy load of my books burdening my shoulders under the scorching heat of the sun. Beads of sweat formed on my forehead, but I wiped them with my hands, hastening my speed.

There were not many people on the road though there were many pedestrians walking across the street. To my right was an ice-cream parlor. I fumbled through my bag to find if I had some money to buy myself an ice-cream in this heat and luckily I had some. Enjoying the sweet taste of strawberry in my mouth, I continued home.


Just after a few steps, I saw a young man in tattered and shabby clothes by the other side of the street. He looked dirty as if he had not had a bath since a few weeks and his hairs were untidy. But his eyes caught my attention and admiration. They were beautiful sea blue eyes which showed the world. The depth and richness in his eyes mesmerized me.


A man suddenly went by him, dropping a coin in his lap. The shabby man mumbled an unrecognizable blessing for the man, giving a toothy smile. He extended his arms and felt around the lap touching the coins with his warm hands and feeling them over, again and again…..a faded smile appeared on his face which began from his alluring eyes and then came to his lips.


Another man passed by him, and the beggar asked him for some money. The passerby stopped and passed a glance at the man. When I expected the pedestrian to put a hand into his pocket, unexpectedly the stranger passed a scorn at the beggar.


Then with amazed eyes, I looked on at what happened! The stranger asked the beggar why he needed money. With unnerving eyes, that acquired sympathy from me, he said, “Sir, the world is all black to me and so are its people. I know I can’t see but I need food to eat and shelter. I’ve been living on these streets since no one kept me for a job and I have not eaten anything but a piece of stale bread offered to me by a kind man.”


The man stared at the beggar with a look of disgust. He broke down after he heard him and retorted, “You are a lazy fellow….and I’ve seen people like you before. You know the way of earning sympathy from others and with your sweet smile, you earn your way into other's heart. You then fool them into giving you money as you think this is an easy way of earning. But I’m not a fool, young man…I know you can see me and hear me, so I say it again, I am not a fool……..” and fuming within himself the man went one without giving a backward glance at the poor beggar.


The expression on the beggar’s face was something of a mix of confusion and fear and disappointment. His deep, beautiful and exotic eyes lingered in my head as I reached home, going over the incident in my head!


After doing my home-work in the evening, I still couldn’t forget what I saw. I went into the balcony and stood in the cool breeze, gazing out longingly. Suddenly I caught a glimpse of him. He now sat opposite my house but as it was getting late, he was stuffing his coin into his deep pockets and suddenly, with a crooked smile on his face and with unanticipated ease he stood up and went on his way…….with no stick in his hand and successfully dodging all vehicles on the road…


I remembered the words of the stranger and not knowing what to do, I silently went to bed while my mind was bewildered and uncertain and my heart cried!


Related Posts

  1. Oh Lord, Bless Her Poor Soul!
  2. The Indefinite Wait....
  3. Oh Lord, Why Me?
  4. Determined To Live!
  5. A Plea To Lord!


24 comments:

Anonymous

Great story, but very (sad) of course.

All the best,
Milou

P.S. Thanks for your comments...by the way do you have something written for Earth Day?:-) You can post it on the world poetry blod...ciao M.

♥ÐÅyÐяєÅмє®♥

I never give money to the beggers...as mostly they do as business..jo langda train par chadh sakta hai wo sab kuchh kar sakta hai..
I myself have seen disabled person excell..one of my frnd is doing phd in mathematics...

so believe me..give the needy money but not to the beggers ..
i kno u r too young to differentiate those..but I kno u r a smart gal and u will learn quick :) afta all bhaiya ki pyari behna hoo :)

love ur style of writing
take care :)

Occasional Brilliance

great story... honestly though when i am walking back home from college, and i spot a beggar, i normally end up giving them a packet of biscuits or something to eat... the money is wasted my most of them instead of actually being used to buy what they need...

m.flowerr

Oophs!!Good narration but like p4kids says, its indeed sad!

Meghna

Hi Milou,
It's sad indeed! I still don't have anything up yet for Earth Day but I'll write one article soon :P

Meghna

Hi Sourish,
I'm glad to read this comment. Teaches me, that sympathy welling up in the hearts is not that after all and not worth it! I'll try to learn quick and as you said.....bhaiya ki baat to behana ko maanni padegi!

Meghna

Hi Bubbles,
That's a good idea. I'll try to do the same now onwards and not fool myself by giving them a ten rupee note :P

Meghna

Hi Fkower,
Sad indeed! Thanks :P

suvaiba

gr88 story megz...
but tum to bus me nahii jaati..
lollz
ohkay gr88 one

Vishesh

it just shows perceptions are different...

Meghna

Hi Vishesh,
yes, there are two sides of every coin.....

Meghna

Hi Suvaiba,
Glad you liked it.....that's called imagination dear :p
But this really happened with the exception that I went n a bus :D

Anonymous

Meghna!
WOW! I knew that man was just joking, I had a feeling, but the way you described him, he seemed so innocent!
I hope to hear more stories.
I don't give beggars money, you can't trust them, maybe they are going to buy beer! Anyway, they should work!
Great STORY, Meghna the Author!
Need an editor? I'll be there for you anytime! ;)

Meghna

Hi nadine,
Yes, beggars can never be trusted!
Maybe I'll be needing an editor soon so I'm glad you are there :P

Kelvy

well there was time wen i used to give beggars money and feel pity, but after i came to know about the business of begging and all that goes on in that world, i hav spotted helping beggars....if really necessary i help only the really old ones...even the govt has said dont encourage begging as many kids r being kidnapped, and they are burnt, blinded etc so that they will be a tool in earningn tyhe money the gangs need....
wat i do now is help the ones that really need the money and i know that they need it...

Meghna

Hi Enigma,
Learnt a lot after reading your comment...I'll try to follow the same principal and hope I don't go wrong :P

Jaggu

Thats sad ofcourse. But I will give to people money/food/clothes whom I think are deserve to get them.

Meghna

Hi Jaggu,
I'll try to do the same then and also try my best to choose between the deserving and the fake!

Arun Dash

Hi Meghna, Amazed at your narrative skills. But that apart, if the incident is a true one, we need realize the situation. Pretension meets the eye wherever it reaches. And people must discourage begging by all the ways possible.Would like you to go through one of my previous posts on begging (http://idlemusingz.blogspot.com/2007/10/begging-menace-begging-attention.html)...Keep up the good work.

Jeevan

The truth will also seem to be like a lie in these acting peoples. Your writing touches the heart, just struggles to accept when something the sweeter turns insipid. I will check out your other related post later in free time. Take care dear :)

Meghna

Hi Arru,
Thanks....It is actually a true incident and I"ll be glad to read your post...Thanks for telling me about it and begging should certainly be discouraged :P

Meghna

Hi Jeevan,
Thank you so much...It is certainly overwhelming to hear this...I hope to improve and I also hope to know your opinions about the other few posts :P

Sameera Ansari

The world is a big bad place my child!Row your boat carefully here :)

Meghna

Hi Sameera,
The world is certainly big and most of it is really bad too...Yes, I'll look carefully before I leap :p

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008