Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Indian Festival of Colors


This is the time to rejoice and have fun, the time for celebration and festivity, a time for union of everyone! Yes, this is festival time all over our country, India. This festival is called Holi and I am all in the mood of it on this 21st of March. It is colors and sweet delicacies everywhere. Red, green, yellow, blue….Wow!

Now, now, I know all those who do not know about this festival must be thinking that I am going crazy but guys, it is not so! Holi is also called the Festival of Colors and is one of the most popular spring festivals of India. On the first day we light bonfires in the death of night to signify the end of evil….while everyone eagerly waits for the second day to arrive! On the second day people throw colored powder and water at each other and enjoy themselves. The faces and dresses of people become unrecognizable smeared with bright, vibrant colors.

Old friends and relatives come together and enjoy the festival! It is certainly a great time for merry making and fun! It is a colorful and gay festival and one of the best Indian festivals for me! Happy Holi to all you friends who enjoyed their Holi and also to those who read this post!

Happy Holi :D

26 comments:

MS

Does this throwing of water and colors happen in public spaces with lots of people? Or is it more of a family thing?

Meghna

Hi Mark,
It happens in public places also but it is more of a family thing! I am glad you took interest :D

Anonymous

hope you had a good holi. here, welll...it came down to eggs and other things, basically too gross. i wish we could play it with jsut colors and water. would have been so much simpler. how was it at ur end

Anonymous

Hi Meghna


belated happy Holi

have look at my blog too, though I am not as good writer like you

Arti Honrao

Hi Meghna!

I hope you enjoyed your holi :)



GBU
Arti

broca's area

happy belated holi!!!:)

Anonymous

Hi Meghna,
This is Ess47 by another name, and from my new blog, inaugurated on March 21st - you can visit if you like, but there isn't much to see yet.
I love your excellent description of the festival customs. Your writing becomes ever more assured with each passing day - such talent!

Your friend,
zencath

Anonymous

Hi Meghna,
That was an informative post for those who are not aware much about your country. Hope you all have a gala time during this festival. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous

Hi there Meghna!
Firstly, happy Holi to you too!
That is A NIcE AND INTERESTING festival!
We have something like it, New Years eve, with fireworks at 12:00! For a new year! Everyone, even strangers say "Happy New Year!"
It would be fun to have a shower of colour strike at you, especially when it is hot weather.
I hope you enjoy your festival and i think you REALLY deserve it after those exams of yours.


I wish you a very happy Holi again!

Meghna

hi Vinni,
I had a lovely holi with colors but there is always a bit of dress tearing, you know! Other than that it was perfectly fine and great fun!

Meghna

Hi Ananya,
Wish you a Happy Holi too. I looked at your blog and loved it! You are certainly fabulous!

Meghna

Hi Arti,
I certainly enjoyed it! Thanks :D

Meghna

Hi brocasarea,
Same to you too...Thanks :D

Meghna

Hi Zencath,
Good wishes for your new venture and I will certainly read it! I'm glad you liked it...Thanks a lot! :D

Meghna

Hi Catherine,
I am glad you think so and I hope you enjoyed reading it! I certainly had a gala time! :D

Meghna

Hi nadine,
Thanks! I hope you enjoyed your New Year too because it too sounds like so much fun! Holi is certainly loads of fun! :D

--xh--

hey l'll sis, hw was ur holi? hope u enjoyed...

Meghna

Hi Anoop,
The Holi was great Big Bro! Hope it's the same with you :D

Stephie

Hi Meghna! Great post. The way you describe Holi is great!
Thanks for the comment, glad to to know you like my story! I'll post chapter three soon.
Congratulations! Great post!

Meghna

Hi Stephie,
Glad that you liked the details about Holi. Yes, it's a great festival. I am looking forward to more stories at you blog....

morinn

We celebrate holi in Mauritius as well. It was great this year. We had lots of colours and everyone had fun. :D

Meghna

Hey morinn,
I didn't know you celebrate Holi in Mauritius too. is it a national festival there too? Does is have the same reverence? Is it played in the same way? Glad to know these things!

Anonymous

Hi Meghna...thanks for this bit of info! Now I know about it too! ;)

Meghna

Hi Nikita,
Thanks :P

heather (errantdreams)

Wow, that sounds so beautiful!

Meghna

Hi Heather,
It certainly is fun! :D

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008