Monday, March 17, 2008

But…We are Just Kids!


Rita was very excited when her friends decided to go for a picnic this Sunday. All night she did not get a wink of sleep thinking about how much fun they would have at the picnic! She was bursting with joy and cheerfulness.

The next morning they had packed and left early. After lunch all her friends were relaxing under the warm, shimmering sun. Suddenly a petty boy dressed in rags passed by them. With greedy eyes, he eyed the kids and the lavish lunch they had. Daniela turned her eyes toward the poor boy and passed a sarcastic comment.

“Poor boy…..you want something? Hey, what do you think we are? We are giving you nothing so move on guy!” thus saying, she and her friends broke into a cruel laughter. The boy turned his head but Rita had already seen the tears glistening from his eyes.

Rita did not enjoy the nasty joke by Daniela. Her heart was now filled with anguish.

“Daniela, I think what you said was wrong. Your parents have provided you with everything you need, lavish clothes, a great house and wonderful schooling and delicious meals. But does that give you the power to make fun of those who are not as fortunate as you? I believe not. I thank you should apologize to that guy there!” Rita demanded.

The boy turned towards Rita and a fake smile appeared on his lips which was yet to be seen in his eyes. “Hey Rita The Sympathetic. What’s the problem with you, huh? Did I say anything to you???” snapped Daniela.

“I have always stood and will always stand for what is right….and I do not care if I am even against you. I do not know what kind of joy you receive in mocking these poor guys. Have you ever seen how much of inner sense of contentment and bliss you would receive if you helped them out.”

“But we are just kids. What can we do?” replied Daniela with a matter of fact tone.

“So what if you are just kids? You are getting everything, are you not? Would it not be better if you shared these things with the inopportune?” Rita took out a chocolate from her pocket and handed it to the guy who kept looking. He grabbed the chocolate and ran away with a huge smile of satisfaction on his face and his eyes shimmering with joy. “This gift of a warm smile will replace
every material thing of life.”

Daniela stared dumbly at Rita’s face and then her empty hands. She knew Rita was right. But Daniela was not the one to give up a fight so easily. “But when adults don’t care, why should we?” She retorted.

Now it was Rita’s turn to stare back silently. What could she say? Just that there were two kinds of people on earth. One who followed the right path and others who took the evil road.

But now that you have read this story, you have got to promise me something. You all have to promise me that you will never let a child sit quietly when someone asks her such a question. Promise me that all of you will be ones who stand as an example for all those nasty kids like Daniela. Promise me that you all will help us to vanquish poverty. Promise me that you will be the ones who take the true path in life……………

Related posts:
  1. Kids Can Surely make A Difference
  2. Children By The Street...help!
  3. Can I Change The World?




12 comments:

Unknown

meghna.. this is really a very nice piece of writing!
would you mind if i give a small advice? it wud hav been even better had u used indian names :)

I am a lover of children's literature

Dear Meghna, good point. I promise to do as you have said; in fact, I have always done so.

There is one good thing about this same poor boy who Daniele taunted - he was the same boy in your story that I wrote - the boy that Sanjay passed the "Coughing Coffin" on to. And he, like Sanjay, use it only for good.

Amazingly, just shortly after you posted this story, Daniela and her parents were robbed! They were stuck in Mangalore and couldn't get back home. They were hungry, scared and no one would help them.

Fortunately, however, for them, a very good looking, rich, well dressed, well fed and well groomed boy came to their assistance - it was Daksa, the boy who Daniela hurt so much, and the same boy who now possessed the Coughing Coffin!

Anyway, after Daniela realized who he was, the boy she taunted so harshly, Daksa, she cried and cried and was deeply humbled and apologized to him. She couldn't understand how he could be so kind to her after all that she did to him, but she was indeed grateful; and from that day on, the two of them became the best of friends.!

When Daksa saw Daniela and her family, hungry and stranded, his heart was touched, but even though Daniela hurt him, it was he, through money obtained through the Coughing Coffin that helped them.

Her parents were so grateful, but Daniela was more than grateful - she learned a very valuable lesson on how wrong she was and never did that mean trick again!

Nice story with a nice moral. Thanks for sharing your story telling with us.

WritingsForLife

I PROMISE!!! :-)
very inspiring yet saddening post as well since many parents dont teach their kids much about sympathy and a spirit of helpfulness, in fact the opposite is true these days. Kids are taught how to snatch and grab everything that they can get since apparently that is the only way to survive in this world now

morinn

Great post Meghna! Yes it's really important to help out people who are less fortunate than us. I promise I will do my best to help. :D

--xh--

I promise you, sweet little wizard :-D. infact, i hv alwys done and will keep continuing doing it. and hey, thnx a ton for teh Big Bro title... :-)

Meghna

Hi Aditya,
I am glad you liked it. I have always thought of doing so but I do not know why I shrugged away the thought! But now as you have advised, i will use Indian names too! :P

Meghna

Hi don,'
"Thanks" I should say to you! For making this wonderful story and sharing it with me! You are a genius!
I am glad you liked it and that you are doing your bit!

Meghna

Hi raaji,
I am glad you are promising and I hope you will follow it faithfully too :)
It is not like the parents intend to do such things but they too have got no other option as the world is like this. Kids too have to be taught the harsh realities of life.....
Thanks once again!

Meghna

Hi morrin,
I agree wholeheartedly! We should help the needy! please do your bit too...
:D

Meghna

Hi anoop,
I am glad to know that there are people like you and many others here who are doing their bit! You deserve that Big Bro!

suvaiba

he meghu,
i liked your story very much,
i am contented that people like you will lead our country, and make us THE INDIANS proud.
your story is very much motivating, and will help us the little ones make for a better future

Meghna

Hi Subi,
That's so sweet of o to say things like that but much more important is that you understood what I meant and will contribute to a better future :D

Blogger template 'YellowFlower' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008